Thursday 14 May 2015

Beautiful Soundtrack Music

So, my music taste is quite strange. I've never been a follower of many artists, really. There're only a few that I've listened to several albums of (Keane, Florence and the Machine, Muse to name a few) and I don't anticipate the release of their new songs or albums. I'm much more of a song person in that, if I hear a song and love it, I'll download it, regardless who it's by. This is why I have a Miley Cyrus song on my phone. Most of the tracks on Guitar Hero 3 lived on my phone for ages for this very reason.

Soundtracks are a different matter though. I adore good soundtracks, specifically movie and video game soundtracks. The first one I ever bought was the Halo: Combat Evolved soundtrack because the music in that game is absolutely stunning. And if there's a particularly beautiful track it often makes me tear up because I'm just a sucker for beautiful music. The first piece that made me cry was the Ending Theme of Final Fantasy X, mostly because DAMN and a lot of because I sunk so many hours into that game and the ending was so sad.

I decided to compile a post of some of my favourite pieces because why not? If it causes just one person to fall in love then it'll be worth it. I know I'm not the only person who loves this kind of music and I discovered a few pieces through looking up what others had suggested. With the exam period being upon us I needed some nice background music for my studies so looked up some of the composers of these tracks. Some of whom I was familiar with, some brand new to me but I'll be watching out for their future compositions.

I will keep updating this list as and when I come across more beautiful music - the exam period has only just started so no doubt there'll be plenty coming this way soon! Finding music like this is the best way to procrastinate help revision.

This is in no particular order but I'll start with my favourite, which I only discovered recently.

1. Arena Crumbles - The Hunger Games: Catching Fire Official Score
   James Newton Howard




It's May 2015 and I only discovered The Hunger Games a couple of weeks ago (shameful, I know). Having been in possession of the first book for over a year now and never getting the chance to finish it, I was properly introduced to the series by my mum. She's a big fan and asked me when I visited one weekend if I wanted to watch the first film. I was curious so said yes and so my love for the series began. We also watched Catching Fire that weekend and I really, really enjoyed it. I think both films were excellent but Catching Fire was fantastic in my eyes. I haven't seen Mockingjay part 1 yet but I will as soon as I can, then go to the cinema, hopefully with my mum, to see part 2. I've now read all of the books (again, thanks mum, for lending me your Kindle collection!) and devoured Mockingjay in a single day. Absolutely brilliant series that I'd heartily recommend and the films are great. Jennifer Lawrence <3 She's fab (also definitely have not developed a crush on Woody Harrelson as a result of his portrayal of Haymitch). And I didn't think I'd like Effie but I loved her. And CINNA, I love him, Lenny Kravitz is just lovely. Also, Finnick, pfwoah, ANYWAY I'll stop now.

The whole soundtrack is excellent but this particular piece just staggers me. The scene that it's from really sticks out in my mind (I won't spoil it but those who have seen Catching Fire will know which part from the title) and it's one of my favourite movie scenes of all time. I only heard the piece properly a few days ago but I can't stop listening to it now. Firmly wedged into my top spot and it had its work cut out beating the Avatar soundtrack, but it did it.

2. You're My Hero - Wreck-It Ralph OST
    Henry Jackman




With Wreck-It Ralph being my favourite film ever, there was going to be something featured from it on this list. The whole soundtrack is catchy and it was so well-done and captured the mood brilliantly with every scene. This and Sugar Rush are my favourites, I chose this one though because at the start and about 2/3 of the way through it's just lovely. I won't spoil the film for anyone who hasn't seen it (and please, watch it, it's absolutely fantastic, never fails to cheer me up) but it's at a very heart-wrenching part of it. I'm going to note here that the voice acting in this film is some of the best I've ever heard, from every single person in it.

3. Becoming One of the People - Avatar, Music From the Motion Picture
    James Horner



When Avatar was released I went into it with zero expectations and came out of the cinema feeling pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed the film but the music stuck with me straight away. It has one of the most gorgeous soundtracks I've ever heard and was my favourite for years until I encountered The Hunger Games. There are so many lovely pieces contained within and I could list them all here, but I won't. Instead I'll put the one in that I first fell in love with. Trust me when I say they're all excellent.

4. Miracle - Winter's Tale Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    KT Tunstall



An actual song featuring on this list! This was a "I desperately need some nice music to accompany this lecture revision on cell signalling of all things, help me, Internet!" discovery. I'm not familiar with the film at all but when this came on it stood out to me straight away. Very nice, dreamy, flowy song and KT Tunstall sings it beautifully.

5. Rue's Farewell - The Hunger Games Original Motion Picture Score
    James Newton Howard



Oh lookie, it's The Hunger Games again. Told you it was good. This one features from the first film and the title could be considered a spoiler but it's another beautiful piece. Especially since I had had no clue about the story at this point and that bit accompanied with this music and the tears were flowing. I cried a lot during The Hunger Games series, to be honest. Not ashamed. Plenty of people will have done, too.

6. Evacuating London - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
    Harry Gregson-Williams



Another film in which a scene sticks out because the music grabbed me straight away. Seriously, the people behind the music of movies deserve some serious credit for what they do. I saw this at the cinema years ago and the point at which this occurs will always be burned into my memory. It's not spoilerific so I'll tell you: it's at the bit where the kids are on the train right at the start and it's wonderful. A Narnia Lullaby is another good one.

7. Ending Theme - Final Fantasy X OST
    Nobuo Uematsu



"Finally!" I hear you cry. "A video game soundtrack!" This soundtrack is wonderful all the way through but this piece will live with me forever because I bawled my eyes out during it and the scene that was playing. This is right at the end of the game so I won't spoil (... I know the game is 13 years old now but still, the HD remaster just came out so some are still new to it) but DAMN, SON. When you invest yourself into a story and see it through you're bound to get emotional, but the music just made it for me.

8. Cornfield Chase - Interstellar Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Hans Zimmer



Hans Zimmer did The Lion King soundtrack so I already loved his work. I was shown Interstellar by a couple of friends fairly recently and when I was hunting down good revision music, I remembered that I'd enjoyed the score in this film. A lot of the soundtrack sounds very similar but I like this one because of the urgency of it as it goes on. Again, I can remember the scene in my head largely because of this piece that accompanied it.

9. Light as a Feather - Winter's Tale Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Hans Zimmer



It's our old friend Hans Zimmer again! He does some excellent stuff. Again, I've no idea of the context of this one because I haven't seen the film, or even heard of it to be honest. This was another stumble-across-ey one which stood out to me in the sea of soundtracks I was listening to in order to gather inspiration. It's a nice little piece.

10. Brothers in Arms - Halo: Combat Evolved OST
      Martin O'Donnell



Halo: CE was released on 15th November 2001 and I was in year 8 at high school at the time and about to turn 13 and I'll never forget because good grief I loved Halo. It was my first FPS and I loved the whole game (though the level "The Library" can go and do one). But the music! Oh, the music. When I left the game running on the menu one time and went back into the room to this music, which had come on in one of the trailers that ran every now and then, I fell in love. I really enjoy all of the soundtrack and it was the first game soundtrack I fell for, but this piece gets me even now, all these years later. I still play the game and I still love this music and it's well worth a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment